Happy Spring!!

Opening Doors Around the World


It is my pleasure to be teaching at Chimney Lakes Elementary this year!
 
This is my 11th year teaching art in Duval County. I have lived in Jacksonville for over 30 years.  I grew up in New York state, where I got my Studio Art degree.  After I moved to Jacksonville, I pursued my Elementary Education degree at Jacksonville University with a Master of Art in Teaching (M.A.T.) And interestingly enough, my father was also an art teacher!

I belong to NE Florida Art Educators Association, National Art Educators Association, and formerly to Fiber Artists Network and the local chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.  I recently had an article published In “Arts and Activities” about a lesson I developed based on Mexican wrestling.   I also contribute illustrations to the children’s book series “If Picasso…” about famous artists.  These books are sold online as well as art museum gift shops across the US. 

This year, all grades will learn about and create the art and handcrafts from many different continents and cultures. These projects will be comprised of both 2-D and 3-D art pieces.  Emphasis will be on the Elements of Art and Principles of Design and vocabulary in keeping with the FL New Generation Sunshine State Standards.  Fifth graders will take a district Curriculum Guide Assessment at the beginning of the year and again in May to measure growth. Also, in March, the annual DCPS Elementary Art Show will be installed at public libraries throughout the city.  A juried group of artwork from these shows will be selected for the Best of Elementary Show in the spring. 

No comments: